Over the last several years the interest in Saliva testing, otherwise known as Oral Fluid testing, has grown. With its inception first in lab based testing, many rapid diagnostic test manufacturers saw an opportunity to develop tests that could provide results in as little as 5 minutes, much the same way urine tests do.
But in many ways Oral Fluid (Saliva) testing has advantages over the traditional urine-based testing:
• It is difficult to adulterate
• Eliminates shy bladder issues
• Is a good indicator of recent drug usage
• Collections can be observed without having to worry about donor privacy issues
• Can be used anytime, anywhere since it does not require special collection facilities